The paper 'Impacts of Globalization on Manchester United" is a perfect example of a business case study. Globalization refers to the integration of world economies, world media expansion, shared cultures, and interdependence of societies around the world. Sport is a popular aspect of universal culture. It results in economic growth, social penetration of individuals, and corporations. It surpasses nationality, ethnicity, sex, and languages as both a leisure activity and professional business. Spectators watch sports as much as they play it which in turn invokes passion that surpasses any other experience.
With technological advancement, the sport has been localized as individuals watch and support their favorite teams in televisions. In the 20th century, sport became an international activity. Sport is significantly influenced by the policies of individual nations as well as international trends that influence the world economy. Currently, football is a global business and players are bought across the globe, international professional leagues are created and top football leagues such as the World Cup and the European cup finals is a top media event (Dolles & Soderman 2005: 5). The fact that the same rules apply to skillful players despite social background and ethnicity is a clear indication that football is a global sport.
Players face similar challenges in the pitch and they include sponsorship, national versus league team, big teams employing young players, and branding. Football has become the number one most reported and viewed game in the world. According to FIFA (the international football governing body), the 2002 finals between Brazil and Germany were viewed by approximately 1.1 billion people and it was broadcasted across 213 countries (Dolles & Soderman 2005: 5). In 2005, the Manchester United brand name was prominent across the world.
The club fame is linked to both its skillful on-field performances as well as its management strategies as the club took full advantage of globalization. The English Premier League had gained a lot of significance worldwide and with advanced media technologies, the club was reaping maximum benefits. Because of its undisputable top position as a global brand in sport, Malcolm Glazer, a United States businessman took over financial control of the club. This process had started in May 2005 after the club announced that Glazer owned the majority of the share in the club (John & John 2006: 35).
Over the next few months, Glazer passed the 75 percent stake required for removing the club from the stock market and when he reached the 90 percent mark the club was forced to sell the remaining 10 percent to him. This was done despite the fact that the fans were opposed to change in the club’ s ownership. However, opposed fans did not have funds to redeem the club's ownership and in retaliation, they formed a new club namely FC Manchester United and it plays in North West Counties League Division Two (Dolles & Soderman 2005: 5).
This is seen as a move to redress globalization impacts on Manchester United as the fans identify themselves as the authentic supporters of the club while fans outside Manchester city are considered as inauthentic consumers (Best 2009: 27). With the takeover, it will be hard to maintain the success of the club and the team is likely to face vast challenges in the future.
Best, S. (2009). Leisure Studies: Themes and Perspectives. London: SAGE
Publications Ltd, 27-89.
Bridgewater, S. (2007). Globalization of the Premier League: A Debate Worth Having.
RetrievedApril 9, 2011, from: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:fifkbTK38AMJ:www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/research_finds_eager/globalisation_of_football_brands.pdf
Dolles, H., & Soderman, S. (2005). Globalization of Sports-The Case of Professional
Football and its Management Challenges. Retrieved March 8, 2011, from http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:NDEltGM2fgMJ:www.dijtokyo.org/doc/WP05_1GlobalizationOfSportsProfessionalFootballDollesSoederman.pdf
Hoye, R. et al (2009). Sport Management: Principles and Applications. New York:
Butterworth- Heinemann, 56-102.
John, H. S., & John, V. (2006). Globalisation and sports branding: The case of
Manchester United. International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship (2), 35-61.
Martin, M. C. (2005). TheGlobalization of Soccer: A Look at the Growth of the World's
Game and its Current Condition in the United States. Retrieved April 8, 2011, from http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:CFpE0RGaqK8J:www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/UCSD/UCSDMartin.pdf
Steriopulos, C. (2010). Manchester United : The Future of a Soccer icon. Retrieved April
8, 2011, from http://www.suite101.com/content/manchester-united--the-futures-bright-a298749